Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MSPI-Friendly Breakfast Quesadilla

I thought summer was over.  And then I strolled into my Trader Joe's and found this:


4 lbs of peaches for $5.99.  Um, yes please.
I'll take two.

This might be our last glimpse of summer produce (and it's most welcome as, for some reason, it is eleventy billion degrees out this week).  I decided to make myself a breakfast quesadilla.

Now, this is where most people would start scrambling eggs, chopping onions, and frying bacon.  That's just not how I roll.  We don't even keep eggs in the house, so there's that.

Instead, I melted a little coconut oil in a pan.  I thinly sliced one of those delicious, ripe peaches and added it to the pan.  I sprinkled in some cinnamon, a little nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.

Then I added chopped pecans, because, obviously.

A tiny drizzle of honey completed this goodness and I cooked it until the peaches were soft and, basically, falling apart.

You could stop here.  This would be tasty on its own.  It would be great on some coconut milk yogurt, on a waffle or some vegan french toast.  I didn't stop there.  I gave the pan a quick wipe and melted a little more coconut oil.  Then I grabbed a soy-free whole grain tortilla (I like Wegman's brand, but Whole Foods also has a good one) and wiggled it around the pan for a second.  As it started to become just a little bit crispy, I spooned in the peaches and folded it over.
Add some coffee (coffee is the most important meal of the day) and, voila.  Breakfast.

Sadly for me, Toodles stole most of it.  But I managed to eat enough to know that it was delicious.  

Peach Quesadilla

2 T coconut oil, divided
1 large peach, thinly sliced
1 t ground cinnamon
a pinch ground nutmeg
a pinch kosher salt
1 T honey
chopped pecans and shredded coconut as desired
1 dairy-free soy-free whole grain tortilla

1.  Melt 1 T coconut oil over medium-low heat.  Add peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the pan and cook, stirring gently, 1-2 minutes or until peaches are soft and gooey.  Remove from heat and stir in honey.  Add pecans or coconut if desired.  Set aside.
Quickly wipe any sugar out of pan and return to medium heat.  Melt remaining coconut oil in pan.  Lay tortilla in pan and heat until it begins to bubble and crisp.  Spoon peaches onto one side of tortilla and fold over.  Plate and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment